Have you ever felt like tracking your energy consumption and wanting to reduce it and realized that your bill doesn’t provide accurate information about the amount of electricity used? And you are unable to pinpoint the exact appliances which consume too much energy. To help answer your question and worries regarding consumption. We have the right product which will help save electricity. A home energy monitor is a solution to all your concerns.
A home energy monitor is an intelligent device that will pinpoint individual appliances that consume more power using the recognition appliance it comes equipped with. The home energy monitor provides feedback, displays cost, estimates greenhouse gas emissions, and reduces home energy use by 4-15%, as shown by various studies. A home energy monitor had come a long way since its introduction a decade ago. Currently, there are so many options in the market. This article breaks down our choices and gives information about the 8 Best Home Energy Monitor in 2021 to help you purchase and gain from the monitor.
What to Look For in a Home Energy Monitor?
A home energy monitor might include features like appliance recognition, an easy-to-use app, or it may offer easy installation. But, the most valuable home energy monitor is the one that supplies information to the user and works with your smart home setup. Some key features are listed below which should be considered while buying a home energy monitor.
- Installation: Basic home energy monitors are plugged into an electrical socket and plug an appliance into the monitor. Find professionals to install if unsure, as it is elementary and should be up and running in less than an hour.
- Solar Monitoring: Home energy monitors can lower the bill by using a solar inverter to transform energy from sun to electricity and can be used to track both solar and electrical energy used and generated at times of peak solar power.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: If you have a smart home and appliances. Your home energy monitor needs to interact with other smart devices in your house to integrate into your innovative home network seamlessly.
- Bluetooth: Another straightforward option to monitor household energy usage is Bluetooth connectivity.
- Consumption graphs: A home energy monitor displaying a bunch of random numbers is complex to understand compared to interactive charts and diagrams. The best home monitor will present data in kilowatt-hours and dollars and cents. It will help you know the reduced energy usage transformed into monthly money.
- Voice Control: A home energy monitor compatible with a digital assistant like Google Assistant and Alexa can give quicker updates and help those with mobility issues and other elderly.
- Notifications: Many home energy monitors come with a user-friendly app that makes it easy to understand and identify energy consumption. The home energy monitor gets connected to a smartphone and delivers instant updates about the usage of energy.
- Appliance Recognition: Appliance recognition pinpoints appliances’ energy usage and creates alerts. For instance, if you left your fridge door open, you would receive a warning.
List Of 8 Best Home Energy Monitor
With a slew of choices to choose from, this section provides a list of the
8 Best Home Energy Monitor in 2021 to help you make an ideal decision before purchasing the energy monitor that meets your home requirement and enables you to track and reduce your energy consumption.
The sense energy monitor maximizes the solar energy and compares the energy consumption side-by-side in a single view. It tracks the electricity and helps you save energy and money by providing insight into power consumption.
- Power Source: Solar Powered
- Included Components: Sense monitor, two sensors
- Item Weight: 3.38 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 7.9 x 7.6 x 7.4 inches
- ♥[Decoration And Functionality]Solar iron lanterns have a sense of retro, elegance and functionality. Solar lights provide some much-needed lighting and project gorgeous tree patterns. It is a great decoration for gardens, backyards, driveways, paths and even camping.
- ♥[Auto on/off]The light turns on automatically at dusk and turns off at dawn. Simply put it in a sunny place, let it absorb some light (about 8 hours), and expose it to warm and soft light for up to 6-8 hours. (Note: There is an ON/OFF switch on the lampshade, please make sure you use it for the first time.)
- ♥[Quick Installation]The solar light can be started and operated easily. Just open the lid, turn on the switch, and place orhang the light wherever you want.
- ♥[Sustainable Solar Energy]No power cord is required, just install the solar light in a sunny place! Solar panels use the energy of the sun and charge the 600mAh Ni-MH battery, which is highly energy-efficient and environmentally friendly.
- ♥[Waterproof And Rustproof]This solar lamp is made of high-quality plastic and high-grade metal, is waterproof (IP44), heat-resistant, and can cope with various weather conditions. Even better, the switch is designed inside the lamp to provide additional waterproofing. (Note: Do not immerse in water.)
What We Love
We love that the sense energy monitor comes with ETL/Intertek certification and meets all rigorous safety standards, allowing you to save money and energy.
It tracks and pinpoints the appliances. You can see how long and till when it stays on. The energy consumption and solar production are lined side by side, making it easy to read the monitor.
It allows you to set custom notifications and understand power usage and cut back on energy consumption.
What We Didn’t Love
We didn’t love that the product does not work with a Square D breaker panel, and it doesn’t manually let you identify the appliance or device. You must entirely depend on the Sense to do its work, and at the time, it doesn’t specify devices.
We recommend this home energy monitor as it is a top choice for the best home monitoring. The quality of manufactures, accuracy, and ease of assessing the information makes it an ideal option to be considered.
The Emporia Vue Smart Home Energy Monitor is a perfect choice for people who don’t have lots of experience using energy monitors. It is wireless and comes with a Gen 2 monitor. They come with DIY instruction which helps you put together the monitors, sensors, and circuits in the breaker box.
- Item Weight: 4.8 ounces
- Package Dimensions: 5.4 x 3 x 2.8 inches
- Measures various parameters: power (W), energy (kWh), volts, amps, hertz, power factor and maximum power (W), time, days - kWh is vital as this is what your electricity bills are based on.
- Cumulative Kilowatt-Hour Monitor. Calculates electricity expenses.
- Electricity price setting by pressing COST, FUNCTION, UP and DOWN button according to the instructions.
- Set electricity price value which ranges 00.00COST/KWH ~99.99COST/KWH.
- Display volts, amps and wattage accurate to 3%.【Important】Input power only 110V 60Hz with US plug.
What We Love
What we love about this product is it is straightforward to install and use. You just have to plug the socket into an outlet and won’t need any professionals.
It can get connected with your smartphone and send notifications based on data it gathers, and you see how much energy the home consumes.
What We Didn’t Love
We didn’t love this product because it is strictly usable with certain meters, and if you don’t live in those regions, this monitor is not for you. The meters it supports are SoCal Edison, First Energy, Green Mountain Power, PG&E, SCE, PPL, and Burlington Electric only.
We recommend this product only if you live in a specific region and have a combined grid or solar power at home. Other than that, it is excellent and straightforward to use the home monitor for anyone.
Rather than investing and installing a whole monitor system, you can purchase the TOPGREENER Wi-Fi outlet relatively at a lower price. It handles heavy-duty loads and is compatible with multiple appliances.
- Plug Profile: Plug-In Mount
- Material: Plastic
- Controller Type: Vera, Google_assistant, Amazon_alexa, Ios, Android
- Weight: 4.94 Ounces
- Control Method: Voice
- Product Dimensions: 4 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches
- Surge Protection: 900 Joules of protection against power surges and voltage spikes
- LED indicators: provide the active status of the outlet at a glance to help you monitor the safety of your electronics
- Device protection: keeps expensive electronics such as flat screens, computers, copy machines, and gaming systems safe from damaging voltage transients
- Easy Installation: replaces any standard outlet that uses hot, neutral and ground wires. Fits standard size junction boxes. Dimensions: 2.75”x1.5”x1.31”
- Complies with 2017 NEC Article 406.12 for Tamper-Resistant Receptacles (TRR). 15A 125VAC 60Hz, 5-15R, self-grounding, 3 wire, 1-year warranty, UL listed
What We Love
We love that this product is seamlessly integrated with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, and it requires no hub or subscription. The setup is quick and easy. It is fire-resistant, UL listed, FCC compliant, and can handle loads up to 15A.
What We Didn’t Love
This outlet requires a Wi-Fi network connection of about 2.4 GHz, and you need to have a smart mobile device like IOS 8 or higher and Android 4.1 or higher.
We recommend this product because of its easy installation and integration with virtual assistants like Alexa and Google Assistant for voice control.
This home energy monitor is another power outlet that you can use to check the power consumption of a specific device or appliance like a coffee pot, refrigerator, air-conditioner, and many more. This monitor will calculate the power consumption of appliances when plugged.
- 【Various Monitoring Parameters】: The power energy meter can monitor the power (W), energy (kWh), volts, amps, hertz, power factor, cost, minimum and maximum power (W), cumulative days and time of your appliances. By switching 7 display modes, you can easily know the various parameters while the appliance is working. The home energy monitor can also calculate and display how much power your appliance uses and how much electricity bill it cost in cumulative time.
- 【Upgraded LCD display】: With large screen size 2.36 inch x 1.85 inch, clearer monitor backlit, our electrical usage monitor can display the data clearer and more visible no matter day or night. 180°full wide viewing angles is great for reading and recording the data in any angles. No need to stand on the front of the display and bend over to read the numbers. Backlight time: 10 minutes.
- 【Overload protection】: When the power of the appliance exceeds the overload power, the LCD will display “OVERLOAD” with a booming noise to warn the user. And the power will be automatically cut off by the kwh meter to avoid any damages to your appliances. The default overload power is 3680W. And the overload power is adjustable from 0 to 3680W. In general, you need to set the overload power to 1800W before using. Just press the "function" button for more than 3 seconds to enter the setting.
- 【Data Memory Function】: The wattage meter will record your power consumption data when you remove it from socket, or remove appliances from the electricity monitor. You can directly see the last data when you use it next time. This function can also automatically save the data when there is a sudden power failure.
- 【100% SATISFACTION】: Our watt meter power analyzer is ideal for monitoring the electricity usage of your home appliances, controlling your power consumption, and saving your money. Your best choice for voltage meter, kilowatt meter, current meter and electricity meter. If you have any concerns with the electrical meter socket you received, you can contact us to get 100% satisfaction.
What We Love
We love that it comes with a rechargeable battery and stores the reading even if you plug in different appliances. The monitor screen has a large LCD which is super easy to read. It has seven display modes to monitor energy consumption: power, energy, voltage, amps, power factor, minimum and maximum capacity, and cost.
What We Didn’t Love
We didn’t love this product because it only works for one appliance rather than an entire house.
This product is the best option to monitor a single appliance and not your entire house. If you need coverage for your entire home, then consider a different product.
You can access Eyedro’s home electricity monitors from anywhere, you just need to log in to your account at My.Eyedro.com, and you can see the real-time energy consumption. The energy monitor works both solar and electricity and helps you understand real-time energy use and the previous one.
- PRATICAL POWER BACK ALARM: This utility power return alarm is mainly used during a power outage, its voltage sensing antennae can detect the voltage change. Once the utility power is restored, the power back alarm will emit a loud siren. Equipped with this product, you can know exactly when the utility power is restored and turn off the generator in time, reducing unnecessary power waste.
- SUPER COMPATIBLE: Works with any new or existing: Generator-ready load center, manual transfer panel, standby system expansion panel, main breaker panel with generator interlock. This handy alarm is suitable for all the family.
- LOUD ALARM: The power back alert sounds a loud 100dB alarm when the power outage ends and utility power is again available and it keeps on until you turn OFF the switch, so you'll be sure to hear it either from your basement or over your generator!
- EASY INSTALLATION: This power return alert is intended for installation on any manual transfer panel or generator-ready load center and can be done in minutes. To install simply mount the product within 20 inches of the main breaker with included 3M tape or screws. And you are free from the hassle of checking your neighbor's house from time to time!
- PREMIUM PRODUCT: This power back alarm includes an 15" current sensing antennae at the end of a 23" jacked lead and a 36" ground wire, enough length to adjust the location when you install. Battery powered (not included) with LED low battery indicator. The shell uses flame-retardant materials, which is durable.
What We Love
We love that My.Eyedro.com is a free membership, making it a budget-free option to monitor home energy. You can access energy usage on mobile phones, computers, and Amazon Echo. It emails you the compressive view daily, weekly, monthly, or even yearly power consumption.
What We Didn’t Love
This home monitoring system doesn’t identify individual appliances but gives a complete view. Another issue is it relies on the internet, so if there’s an internet outage, you won’t be able to receive the data, and the consumption will register as ‘0’.
We recommend this product as it comes from well-trusted manufacture and is available in over 150 countries. It has a long history of data and usually emails daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly updates about energy consumption.
Other Home Energy Monitor Worth Considering
Suppose the options suggested above are not suitable for your purchasing needs. Take a look at a few mentioned below.
BN-LINK Wi-Fi Heavy Duty Smart Plug Outlet
BN-LINK’s Wi-Fi smart outlets are easy to install by plugging in and using voice commands with Alexa or Google Assistant.
- 3 SMART OUTLETS WITH USB - Smart Power Strip features 3 independently controllable outlet and 4 USB charging ports (total 4.8A/24W), compatible with cellphone, Kindle and most USB devices in the home and office.
- MULTI FUNCTION POWER STRIP - 3-Outlet surge protector with 4 USB charging ports (4.8A, 24W), 6.56-foot Heavy Duty power extension cord(1875W/15A). Surge protector (600 Joules)with overload protection ensures the safety of your electronic products.
- INDICATOR LIGHT - Protected, grounded, Wifi indicator light on to show your devices are protected, grounded and connected to the smartphone via BN-LINK app.
- VOICE CONTROL - Simply voice command to control multiple home devices with our smart power strip via Alexa or Google Home. Enjoy the hands-free convenience of controlling any home electronic appliances. Made for everyone, perfect for elderly, disabled, or for a hard-to-reach plug..
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE - Turn lights, fans, and appliances on or off automatically from anywhere in the world with your smartphone anytime via the BN-LINK app. No Hub Required, works with 2.4GHz network.
Sense Flex Home Energy Monitor
It combines the sense monitor and flex sensor, allowing you to monitor your power consumption safely and effectively.
- SPIRIT UNTAMED: Discover the Spirit of great hair with this Mane ‘n Tail Spirit Untamed Detangler
- CARAMEL APPLE SCENTED: Kids will love the playful caramel apple scent of this detangler
- TANGLES & KNOTS SOLUTION: Results are seen instantly as kid’s knots comb through with ease
- SUPER SLIP: Creates great slip in hair that allows hair to respond to styling effortlessly
- USE AS LEAVE-IN: For extra conditioning use as a leave in treatment on kid’s hair ADDITIONAL CONDITIONING BENEFITS: Eliminate the appearance of dry, split ends and use as strengthener
Poniie PN1500 Portable Micro Electricity Usage Monitor
It is built with a high precision current sensor and ensures the best accuracy when measuring power consumption.
What Do We Mean By a Home Energy Monitor, and How Does It Work?
Home energy monitors are the intelligent appliance that tracks your power consumption efficiently and effectively. It delivers the energy consumed graphically and interactively, at times displaying the number. You can sync it with the smart-home tool and even calculate solar energy production. It monitors the energy and breaks it down into kilowatts and dollars and cents.
Why use a home energy monitor?
Presently, the cost of energy is increasing rapidly day by day. Many people are hunting ways to control and reduce their energy usage and costs. People are turning towards intelligent systems and apps that help them conserve energy. Others use energy-efficient appliances. Home energy monitors allow people to track and know about the device that consumes more power. Hence, help manage and control your energy output, reducing costs.
Are they worth it over other conventional options?
Yes, home energy monitors are worth over conventional options. If you are always very careful about unplugging devices, an energy monitor can help give you better insight into your house’s energy consumption. Once you started tracking your power consumption, you will be forced to make energy-efficient choices.
Should you just DIY a home energy monitor
Yes, you can build a simple electricity energy monitor using hardware and software components. It can measure electrical energy and measure voltage using an AC to AC power adapter and CT sensor. The setup is relatively easy as it doesn’t require high voltage.
The steps required to build an electrical energy monitor using Arduino are as follows:-
- Gather the hardware component.
For building a home energy monitor, you will need:
- Arduino – 1
- Ohm resistor – 100k×1 and 470k×2
- (for voltage divider)
- Capacitor – 10uF × 2
- AC Power Adapter- 9V AC
- CT sensor × 1
- Burden resistor – 18 Ohms
- Breadboard – 1
- Single-core wire – 8 to 10
2. Assemble the components on the breadboard
Connect the sensors which produce signals using two wires to the Arduino. The sensors must be promoted to primary current and voltage as the sensor electronics convert these signals into the form Arduino accepts.
3. Upload the Arduino Sketch on the software
The Arduino sketch is software that runs on Arduino. It converts the raw data programmed by you and outputs them into the needed serial. You can download the EmonLib from GitHub and place it into your Arduino folder.
4. Viewing the electrical consumption
You can view the values on your computer by connecting the Arduino and should see values like absolute power, apparent power, RMS voltage, RMS current, and power factor.
All the calculations are done on the digital domain software on an Arduino, and this electrical energy monitor can calculate actual power, apparent power, power factor, RMS voltage, RMS current.
Pros and Cons of home energy monitor
- Home energy monitors help you become more aware of energy consumption.
- The energy monitor alerts you when you’ve left any home appliances switched on. E.g., if you’ve left your refrigerator door open, it will send you the notification if connected with your smartphone.
- Energy monitors make you choose energy-efficient appliances.
- It comes in various models and types. With its appliance recognition, it can pinpoint exact applications that consume more power.
- Some home energy monitors are advanced and come with additional features, making them very expensive.
- It requires often a professional to install the energy monitor as it is complex to install.
- Few home energy monitors create more hassle than a convenience, the monitor being not compatible with other smart home appliances.
Are home energy monitors worth buying?
Yes, buying a home energy monitor will help you know the amount of energy you use in the house and show at what moments you can save the energy.
Does use a home energy monitor save money?
Yes, home energy monitoring encourages behavioral changes that will allow you to track your consumption and reduce it.
How can you monitor your energy?
The home energy monitor provides time data to help you understand your usage of energy. You can monitor the power by unplugging the device, switching lights and other appliances during non-peak hours.
Does the home monitor use Wi-Fi?
Yes, some home energy monitors use Wi-Fi. Others use Bluetooth to interact with other smart appliances in the house.
Is it worth installing the home energy monitor?
Yes, a home energy monitor effectively tracks your energy consumption and for reducing your carbon footprint. Using a home energy monitor is the ideal option.
Tips and tricks for using a Solar Energy Monitor
- Before purchasing, make sure that the home energy monitor is compatible with your house.
- You can set the limit for your power consumption, and it can alert you if you’re about to exceed the pre-set limit.
- Connect your monitor with Wi-Fi to receive updates about your energy consumption.
- Prioritize home energy monitors that are easy to install and set up.
- Some home energy monitors come with an alert system. For example, if you left the food in your fridge open, it would alert you.
- Smart home monitoring helps you track minute-by-minute consumption.
- Update your appliances to energy-efficient products.
- Some monitors give suggestions to reduce the consumption edition by analyzing patterns.
Check out other solar products too: